1st DL trip with family questions

elzool

Earning My Ears
Morning,

I've been to DL several dozen times... but haven't been there in almost 10 years. Even then it was only with my wife for one day. Now, we're 36, have a 37" tall three year old and would like to take him. He loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, is familiar with the characters from that and many films. I think he's about the right age to go but I want everything to go smoothly... at least, as smoothly as possible. We'll be driving over in mid December for 2 days in the park and three hotel nights.

Where should we stay?
I'd like to stay at the closest hotel possible. On property, the gc is out of our price range however, so that is out and we don't mind staying off property as long as the distance is walkable with a 3 year old. We will only be there for 3 nights so I figured we'd just get a 2day pass to DL. I'd rather concentrate on just one park this first time out. Two days with a three year old there ought to be ok I would think. I figure we can walk back for naps and hopefully being that close will be helpful. Looks like the disneyland hotel and paradise pier are both about the same distance to DL. PP seems to be cheaper and since the monorail isn't running I can't see any benifit to staying at the DL Hotel. Am I wrong? Which of the good neighbor hotels is closest?

In looking at room rates and rooms with tickets and packages with character meals and I'm getting rather confused by it all. In general, are packages(hotel,tickets,character meals) a better deal than putting it together yourself from seperate components?

Character Interaction
I'm thinking a character meal would be nice, but not something we have to absolutely have as we can see the characters in the park. But for a 3 year old, maybe that would be a better setting.. I dunno. Are there any meals with pooh or mickey, donald and goofy?

Is there somewhere I can find a list of where characters can be found and when?

Shopping
We might wander through DTD, but that really isn't why we are going, so it isn't that important to us.

Other
Rent or bring our own stroller?
Any tips on what rides or shows your 3 year olds liked or loved while there?
Anything that might be to scary or too much for him?

I'm sure I've left out a lot, but I would appreciate any feedback on this if possible. I realize it might sound like I want someone else to plan my trip for me, but I really just want the best time for my family that I can, so I am hoping to get the most information up front so I don't miss anything.

Thanks!

I booked at the Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites, it is my first time, but, my understanding is that is right across the street from the main entrance, less than 5 minutes from DL gates. The rates are reasonable. I have a Desert Inn thread I had started on here and got great feedback. Disneyland.com is great and has some info on the character meals and who is where. I liked the strollers at the park last time I was there. But, with walking after, you may want to bring your own. Small World is great for kids, my DD loved POTC when she was 3, but, I thought I heard it has been redone since then (6 years ago). The only ride she didn't really like was Splash Mountain. She loved the inside, but the drop at the end scared the crud right out of her. It has been a few years since I went though, so, hopefully you will get more feedback.

I love the PP, if it is in your price range the walk is great, and it keeps you immersed in Disney - and definitely not too far for a nap...not sure on good neighbor hotels - I am sure they are great - but I have not stayed at any.

I like going through disney.go.com, or through costco to book the hotel and tickets, if you go this route you might want to consider a three day hopper, this will give you EE if you do stay offsite, as well as an EE entry to Toon Town that it sounds like your son would absolutely love!

Character meals are not a must, but your son might like it. I don't believe there are any with Mickey - I know Goofy has one, never done it, we love Lilo and Stitch with Minnie and Pluto - very interactive.

List of characters - well, the main ones will hang out at either Main Street, the Fountain area of DCA, and you can see Mickey, Pluto, Goofy and Donald -guaranteed if you can get into Toon Town - Pooh and friends hang out in Critter Country, and Buzz in Tomorrowland - CM will be able to help you when you are actually at the park.

DTD for us with DS5 and DS3 is just a walk through - we have never taken the time to stop.

Bring a stroller!!!! You do not want to carry a tired three year old back to the room for naps, or at the end of a long night.

My DS loves the roller coster in Toon Town and the rides in Fantasy land. There are actually great kiddie rides in DCA - it really might be worth getting hoppers if the price is not that much more...

I saw you were going in December - we actually loved the cookie designing in DL - a good break and DS and DD loved it...

Also remember to baby swap if you want to grab some adult rides...and if your son gets scared easily, save the scarier rides for later - let him start off easy on Dumbo or something simple - otherwise he might be leery of the other rides...

Hope this helps...

Definitely hit Fantasyland first since those have the most rides for your DS. These also get crowded pretty fast. Especially Peter Pan, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Mad Tea Party, and Mr. Toad. Also I don't know if you've visited WDW since then but familiarize yourself with the FastPass system. Hydro Guy can explain it the best but it's basically a system that allows you to recieve a paper pass with a time frame that allows you to enter the line at a later time but with a shorter wait time. It also allows you to experience attractions while you wait for your time frame.

Hi,

We just got back last week. It was our first family trip with a 3 and 5 year old. Our 3 year old was measuring just a little over 40 inches with shoes..so he was able to do more. Now, my advice is this...each child is different!! My 5 was more scared of everything(old enough to think about it all, I guess). My 3 loved everything...including thunder mountain and splash mountain. Now, the Haunted Mansion scared both momentarily(until the ride part), especially when these teenage girls thought it would be fun to scream loud in the elevator part. Naps are helpful...but be aware of short park hours. A character meal at goofy's was a hit for both kids. Toon town is a must and fantasy land. Also, the astro orbitor and buzz lightyear astro blasters in tomorrow land. My 3 loved just riding the train too. We stayed off site and just took the Art bus...it wasn't really difficult at all. I showed them a movie pertaining to the fantasy land rides once a week...that way they could follow the stories in the darker rides...and weren't scared. I hope this helps.

this is all such great information, thank you very much

i have some specific followup questions
dizzyami
we actually loved the cookie designing in DL

Can you tell me a little more about this and where to find it?

agoofylover
Our 3 year old was measuring just a little over 40 inches with shoes..so he was able to do more.
I showed them a movie pertaining to the fantasy land rides once a week...that way they could follow the stories in the darker rides...and weren't scared.

My son is 37" without shoes... tomorrowI'll measure him with them.... then where do I go to find out what he can do at the park? Will he be tall enough to do anything at all?

Can you tell me what movies you showed them about fantasy land?

Thanks!

Hi,

Well, the shoes I was talking about were actually sandals...so I'd say they only added 1/2" to his height. We forgot his tennis shoes...that would have measured him closer to 42" (and he could have done more). Oh well.
Your child should be able to do all the fantasyland rides, and Toon town for sure, as well as pirates & haunted mansion. You can go to the disneyland website and they will list the height requirements for each ride. I know that 40 inches is the next requirement for most...and a Indiana Jones is 45?

As for the movies...DS5 hasn't previously liked "dark" ride through type rides. Watching the movies really gave them the story behind the ride...and if they seemed to get scared, we'd just point out features from the movie. We didn't have any problems and I truly believe it was because they got to see the movies first. We watched Snow White, Pinnochio, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland...the ones that I knew would be the dark rides.

I hope this helps...ask more if you need too!

agoofylover

The cookie decorating is located in Frontierland - we were there last year during the holidays and it was great fun. I was very excited to see a Halloween theme for this year:

"Frontierland will be celebrating Halloween ‘country style’ at the Big Thunder Mountain Ranch as guests are treated to holiday crafts, spooky tales and delicious Halloween treats that include Halloween colored ‘cotton candy’. Little ones can also participate in Spooky-Kookie-Cookie decorating"

They had tables set up, in a large area that was outdoors, but enclosed, very relaxing for all.

Also, don't be discouraged about your son's height - he will have a blast. I have two short kids, and I am hoping that my five year old this time will stretch enough to be able to pass the 40 inch mark. I definitely recommend Gadget's Go Coaster in Toon Town - DD loved this ride - it is 36" and up (TT also has the toon spin ride he can do). Other then that it is Pirates, HM, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Winnie the Pooh, all the rides in Fantasy Land, Rockets in tomorrowland, Buzz blasters, and a bunch of rides in DCA if you decide to hop over!!!

Haven't had the chance to measure my son yet, he's been in preschool all day, but I will when he gets home... maybe get him some lifts...

I hadn't thought of the disney films as the movies you are talking about, but since he's seen them, I think we're set there :)

I'll have to check on the cookie decorating as I think he'd like that as he likes it here and loves playing with sprinkles and icing when I bake

I've settled on a hotel and have a plan

i just need it to be december and I'm set

thanks!

Sorry my cookie post was a little bit off - since we are going in less then a month I have halloween on the brain!!! I must say though the Christmas setup was great - there were reindeer, santa was there, and the great setup for cookies. We got a snowman and a tree, it came with icing cups and sprinkles!!! I wish I could figure out how to post pictures - but they had a blast!!!

dizzyami said:
I like going through disney.go.com, or through costco to book the hotel and tickets, if you go this route you might want to consider a three day hopper, this will give you EE if you do stay offsite, as well as an EE entry to Toon Town that it sounds like your son would absolutely love!

Okay, EE I'm figuring to mean Early Entry -- why does buying through Costco or buying three day include EE to ToonTown and EE to the park even if staying offsite? Can you offer the details to those of us extremly NOT in the Disneyland know?

elzool said:
well, he's 39" in shoes....

where do you find lifts for toddlers? :)
Right now he'd be able to ride everything at DL except:
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (40" height requirement)
Splash Mountain (40" height requirement)
Star Tours (40" height requirement)
Space Mountain (40" height requirement)
Indiana Jones (46" height requirement)

You've got a few months until December, so by then he may reach 40". However, even if he does reach 40", he may not be ready for those bigger rides. See how he does on everything else first (the milder rides) to get a feel for what he likes and what scares him before riding the bigger rides.

If you decide to try a bigger ride, I would start with Star Tours because it's the mildest of the thrill rides.

Other tips for you:

The first room that you walk into in the Haunted Mansion may be scary for him. Cover his ears if you have to in that room. After that, the actual "ride" part is a breeze and most likely won't scare him if he likes the "Nightmare Before Christmas" movie and characters.

The "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" 4D movie may be too intense for him and has a couple of scary animals (HUGE snake and lion) that are VERY SCARY if you're wearing the 3D glasses. If you see this movie, just have your son see it without the 3D glasses.

I would bring your own stroller because it's just easier, especially when staying off property. Not only is it good to have for a tired 3 year old after a full day at the parks, but it's also great to have your own stroller to carry all your stuff back to your hotel too (jackets, bag or backpack, any Disney momentos you buy, etc...).

Have a great time! :sunny:

MissVesper said:
Okay, EE I'm figuring to mean Early Entry -- why does buying through Costco or buying three day include EE to ToonTown and EE to the park even if staying offsite? Can you offer the details to those of us extremly NOT in the Disneyland know?

I am not sure about booking through other sites, I know that through Disney and Costco the packages come with a pass that gives early entry to toon town - these may come other places too, but I don't know for sure.

As for EE in general - if you get a 3 day "bonus" hopper or greater, the tickets will typically include one day of Early Entry to the park - again there may be tickets out there that don't, I have always gone through Disney or Costco.

Typically the rumour is if you stay onsite you get EE everyday, but I understand this to be an offer that is not guaranteed, and could be discontinued at any time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter