1 yr old with disability

eeyore3847

DIS Veteran
ok, so not sure how to go about this. my son is 1 and he has congenital Hypothroidism. now that in itself is not necesarilly life threatening. he obviously will be in a stroller most of the time.
We have been to DL for many years(check Sig.) and we know there are rides that are in full sun while waiting in lines, like it's a small world, dumbo etc.
he has a high sensitivity to light and heat. we live in az and you shouls see our air conditioning bill this summer already! We have been staying in house this summer and my 6 and 3 year old are getting stir crazy.
Anyways I have contacted his endocrinologist to ask for a lettter explaining the heat and light exposure.
What rides have lines in sun that he is able to ride and also what is the likelyhood of him geting a gac for just those rides?

Lori

At MK, Dumbo and Aladdin's magic carpets and the carosel are the most open. Those are rides that I took DD when she was 11 months, and 19 months. She loved them. Fast passes will help for Peter Pan and Pooh and get you under shade.

I’m relatively sure you can’t get a GAC just for specific rides. What you can do is get a GAC and just use it as you see the need. Also, get to the parks early early early – before opening. If you’re staying onsite, take full advantage of EMH, both morning and evening.
Are you bringing your own stroller? Do you have or can you get a canopy for it, and get a couple of clip-on, battery-operated fans to attach to it facing your son?

We are staying at the poly. I have looked for the fans and they are sold out at the local stores, but we will find one before we leave. The stroller has a canopy that is a must
Is it a hassle to get the GAC? I know people have more severe problems that need it.

Eeyore, that others have more severe problems is dreadfull, but your little one has problems enough to take it very seriously. There have been numorous posts on here about GAC because of sunlight exposure being a problem, so they should have some experience on the subject. Did you read the FAQ yet? There's great info in there also.

I'm just thinking what could help you guys out. I don't know if there are any rides you can't be in the waiting line while bringing a stroller (I don't have any kids, so haven't got a clue AND have never been yet ;) ), but if there are any, you can also ask at GR to use the stroller as a wheelchair. That way you can bring the stroller with you. Not just because he might need to sit, but the canopy can give him some protection from the sun which can be great if there is no shade or alternative place to wait.

Did you know that you don't need a letter from the doc? You can take it with you if it makes you feel more at ease, but the CM isn't allowed to ask for one.

oh, I read that they don't necessariy need a letter, but I was wondering if that would help. do you think printing out online the actual info on the disease would be helpful.

lori

Hi Lori,

if you want to; go ahead and bring it with you! You don't need to though. All you need to do is explain what his needs are. The ADA makes it so that they aren't allowed to ask for any type of proove or anything. I am one of those who would feel more secure with the print in my bag and being able to take it out if needed. So I can understand if you want to bring it along, especially with him being so young. But than again, I am also one of those people who will bring any tool possibly required for some wc-ajustments, take a second wc just in case, bring along medical info just in case, bring along a list of proper hospitals just in case etc. I'm not one of those over-worriers, but a typical "better safe than sorry". ;) You should be fine without though from what I've read, especially if you can explain in normall language why the sun is damaging for his health.

By the way, did you know there are special clothes out there that give some protection from the sun? I've seen a posting about that on here, I'll have a look if I can find if for you.

I don't think that WDW can do much about the heat, and it will be very hot and humid while you're there. There are several rides where the ride itself is in the direct sun and the ride is appropriate for a 1 yr old.

The ones that come to mind are:
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Dumbo
Astro Orbiters
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts
Indy Speedway
Triceratops Spin
Pocohontas Show
Castle Stage Show

I would try to visit those attractions very early or very late in the day to avoid peak sun exposure. Better attractions for mid-day are Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise, TTA, Railroad, teacups, carousel, etc.

Take something to sit on that will buffer him against the heat of ride vehicles that have been baking in the sun. We use a small towel and use it wet or dry as seems appropriate.

Disney transportation frequently has you waiting in the sun for a bus. I don't think you'll have that problem at the poly, but you may have that problem when returning from a park.

You'll also be doing a lot of walking in the sun. I found that solarveil fabric was miserably uncomfortable, but you can buy clothes made out of other fabrics that are very sun-protective and cool. A big floppy hat will help a lot, and you can get an extension for the sunshade on your stroller. They lay on top of the existing canopy but extend further to provide another foot or so of shade. Learning to walk forward while pulling the stroller behind you (so that your child faces away from the sun while you face into the sun) is a very useful skill.

Stroller fans have already been suggested, you might also look for the evaporative cooling fans that squirt a mist of water along with the fan action. You can get ice water to refill the canister at any CS location and usually at any of the carts that are selling the disney version of that fan.

Cooling neckbands/wristbands may also be a good option.

As far as the GAC goes, I think you'll be able to get accommodations that help with the sun while waiting in lines. The more steps you take to make your son comfortable while he's in the stroller the stronger your case for WDW helping to make your son comfortable while in lines.

Hi Lori,

if you want to; go ahead and bring it with you! You don't need to though. All you need to do is explain what his needs are. The ADA makes it so that they aren't allowed to ask for any type of proove or anything. I am one of those who would feel more secure with the print in my bag and being able to take it out if needed. So I can understand if you want to bring it along, especially with him being so young. But than again, I am also one of those people who will bring any tool possibly required for some wc-ajustments, take a second wc just in case, bring along medical info just in case, bring along a list of proper hospitals just in case etc. I'm not one of those over-worriers, but a typical "better safe than sorry". ;) You should be fine without though from what I've read, especially if you can explain in normall language why the sun is damaging for his health.

By the way, did you know there are special clothes out there that give some protection from the sun? I've seen a posting about that on here, I'll have a look if I can find if for you.

we have tried the sun protective clothing and he tries to rip it off, we think it is itchy, but it is not really his skin, it is his eyes in teh sun. it is extreme exposure that makes it hard for him to see and if you take him in the sun he squints or closes his eyes. we worry about his eyes and use sunglasses but he is 1 and 1 year olds do what 1 year olds want to do!
We will wing it when we get there with all his paperwork and medications and hopefully we will be able to get the gac. if not we will mange I am sure. just hoped to make it easier. We arrive sat night and I am going to cust serv that night to discuss the 6 days following. i like being prepared for anything!

Lori

I see other people have already pointed you toward the disABILITIES FAQs thread information about GACs. That's kind of the 'collected wisdom' of posters to this board and CMs who are on the DIS Boards and gave us some information. As others alreay posted, you don't need a doctor's letter, but if it makes you feel more secure to have one, there is nothing to stop you from bringing one. If you do bring a letter, it should talk about what your child's problems (like the heat and light insensitivity that you mentioned).

When we first started coming to WDW in 1987, there were quite a few attractions where the wait was in the sun. Over the years, WDW has done a pretty good job of adding shade to attraction queues and has added things like overhead fans and some even have air conditioning in the outdoor lines - I would not have thought they would do that, but CMs who worked at some of the attractions have posted they do. From what I have seen, WDW does a better job of shading lines than DL does and very few of the lines are in full sun. Most have shade or roofs once you are actually in the line, so you may not have as much problem with sun exposure in lines as you are anticipating. Most of the attractions that are in the sun are very short and most of the line is actually shaded, so you will only be in the sun for the actual ride (like Aladdin, Dumbo and Triceratops Spin are only about 90 seconds long).
(I don't know for sure, but I suspect the 'shade' is as much to protect from the frequent Florida rainstorms as it is to protect from the sun).

There is a product from Rit that can be washed into clothes to make them sun protective. no one has posted about using it, but your child may not mind that as much because it would be his regular clothing.

Another thing to think about is that it will be hot outside, but inside the airconditioned attractions (which is basically everything inside, even the insides of attractions like Small World), it can get pretty cool (even cold). I don't know about your child, but a lot of people with hypothyroidism have difficulty with exposure to cold (which makes sense since the thyroid is involved in regulation of metabolism, and the 'furnace' of the body). So, you need to plan on changes from cold to heat that can occur within a few minutes of each other.

My youngest DD has problems with heat and sun exposure; one of the things we do to manage it is watch the weather forecasts. We feel like MK and AK are the hottest parks to be in, so we save those for cooler days during our stay if we can. Because of DD's care, we can't get going very early, but other people already suggested trying to get to parks at opening and leave by noon or so. By doing that, you will miss the hottest part of the day, the hottest and brightest sun and the biggest crowds.
If you need to get him out of the heat for a while, each park has a First Aid and a Baby Care Center that is cool and calming. If you have 2 cell phones in your party, you can go there with him while the rest of your family is seeing attractions (like maybe some that would not be appropriate for him).

Wow thanks that was a lot of useful info. yep cold is a problem but thought in july we would not have to wory. guess you are right about the inside. more to plan for!
thank you so very much. got the dr's note faxed to me today, it makes me feel more prepared.
Lori

We are staying at the poly.

We stayed at the poly on our last trip (April) and you will love it! Not only do you have the monorail to MK, you have only a really short walk to get to TTC & the Epcot monorail. So with all these great transportation options it makes it really easy to take your afternoon break. With little ones it is *the* way to go. Like everyone has said, go early, take a break, go back out after nap/pooltime & miss the hottest part of the day.

Have a great trip!

I would think requesting the accomodation to be able to use his stroller in the queue lines would be helpful. For the few attractions that are in the sun that would be his only protection. The heat is another issue though and really can't always be avoided. Sometimes there aren't alternate areas to wait in the shade until the rest of your party meets you or even for your party to wait until it's your turn. Often the shade in Florida is nearly as hot as the sunny areas. I know they make cooling vests for adults but I'm not sure what similar products there would be for a baby but the other suggestions that were given were great ones. I have a service dog who I worry about in the heat and I put the lightweight gel packs in her backpack and cooling wraps around her neck. A Dis'er last year was making the Disney wraps and made some for Skye ( my SD) as well as my family. I was surprised that they gave so much relief. Even if your son won't wear them, putting them as padding in his stroller and then covering with a towel should keep him dry and cool. If you sew you could make an insert for his stroller that would have the cooling beads for a seat cushion and backrest. Hope you have a great trip, and you can't beat the Poly for a relaxing and spacious feeling.---Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter