1 adult - 3 kids - WDW activities?

JoBP117

Bookworm Belle
My husband and I have three boys (ages 5, 2 1/2, and 1) and we are driving down to WDW on November 30th.

My husband has to fly back home for a meeting that he can't miss. His company is buying a round trip ticket where he'd leave early in the morning on Dec. 4th and return late at night on Dec. 5th.

We had planned on leaving on the 4th or 5th (depending on how the kids were). But with my husband going and possibly coming back, we aren't sure what to do.

So my options are:
1) Husband flies out and does not use the return trip. I load up the boys and drive 13 hours on my own (breaking it into 2 days probably until we got home to WV)

or

2) Waiting for him to return to WDW so that we could all drive home together on Dec. 6th.

I don't want to drive home with 3 small kids by myself. BUT, it seems like that would be easier than being in WDW with 3 kids and trying to find something to do that we will all enjoy. I don't want to be stressed out and spending $ in WDW. That's not a fun vacation!

FYI - our first 2 nights we are staying at ASSp and the last 2 nights at WLconcierge. If we stayed 2 more nights it would have to be back at the Value or the Moderates to really afford it (cause I don't want to give up WL! :)

Also, we are not buying the Park Hopper pass - just doing the one day admissions since we only plan on doing MK & AK for this time around.

So, which option would you choose and do you have any suggestions on what we could do to pass the time that wouldn't require park admission but would be fun for all of us?

Thanks in advance!!!

I think you have some tough decisions to make. I think first I would have to ask myself what are my kids really like? Will they stand beside you without running off or stay in the stroller with out trying to get out. Also will the 5 year old be a help to you, or also need a lot of attention?

I would also consider what kind of car riders they are. Will they be content enough with them all the back of the car or van that you can drive with out distraction?

I think as far as safety issue goes I would feel better staying at WDW and being onsite rather that having to check into a hotel alone on the trip back.

There are things that you can do with the kids aat WDW that don't cost a lot of money. The value resort do offer less things to do but there are several things the kids should like. There are playgrounds at all the resorts the ASMo at least has a cool kiddie pool. Don't know if you could handle them all in the big pool or not. The all star pools are not zero entry and I can't remember how deep the shallow end is.

Fort Wilderness might be a fun way to spend some time. They have a petting zoo, pony rides and lots of running room. Down Town Disney also might be fun with checking out the new toy store and lego store.
I am also not sure if it would be easier to travel around WDW on the bus or to drive your own car. With your own car you could put the little ones directly from the car to the stroller.

Just thinking out loud. Is there any way you could bring a grandparent or someone else along for the trip?

I would also consider going ahead and getting at least a 4 day hopper pass as the days never expire and it might give you more options. Perhaps a extra day at MK if the kids are good while daddy is gone.

Hope I at least gave you some things to consider. Good luck.

Jordan's mom

Here are a couple of quick thoughts:

If you stayed at WDW, could your oldest spend some time at one of the resort kid's clubs in the evening or maybe even do something like the pirates cruise. That would be fun for him and give you a little break from having all three. I agree that maybe Fort Wilderness & the petting zoo might be easy & fun for your kids. If the weather is nice, could you put life jackets on them and spend some time at the pool?

I have 3 kids ages (7, 4, & 1) and have taken them on a couple of 7 hour car trips by myself. We've always done well but we do have a DVD player for the minivan so I let the older ones watch movies the entire time. I usually try to plan it so that the youngest will nap as much as possible. I also take the potty chair on all long car rides just in case someone has to go & we're in the middle of no where. We just keep it in the van in the empty seat. Fortunately we don't need to use it often but it has come in handy a couple of times. Plus sometimes public restrooms are so disgusting, especially for little ones.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I think either way is do-able. Just consider how your kids do on car trips or outings to the mall or whereever when it is just you.

Would it be possible to change the date you arrive at WDW? Maybe go down the day after your husband's meeting? That could save you a big headache.

As it stands, we have arranged for dh to take our youngest (1 year old) back with him on his flight (since he will be a lap passenger).

I will stay another day with the other 2 and drive to Charlotte, NC the next day. On his return flight he has a stop in Charlotte. So he will just leave the plane at that point and meet us. We will stay the night in Charlotte and drive the rest of the way home the next day (while my parents keep our youngest).

So I will have about a 9 hour drive with the two oldest (ages 5 and 2 1/2) which shouldn't be too bad.

There is a possibility I will take the 2 all the way home (and dh won't even take the return flight because of work situations). But I think I could handle it on my own with just 2 of them.

Thanks for the support and the tips on lower key things to do!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter