“Official” 2018 Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Costumes & Guidelines

We’re going with a light Pokémon theme for our group of 8. The four adults will be Ash, Serena, Jessie and James. The four kids (ages 4-9) will be Pikachu, Squirtle, Meowth and Wobbuffet (couldn’t convince our Squirtle to be a Fennekin). We’re going to the first party, so costumes are light: mostly t-shirts and accessories. I’ll post a photo after we get our outfits organized!

I am really struggling about costumes since we are going in mid October. I just don't know if we should go with long sleeves or short sleeves,etc. I just don't want anyone to be too hot or cold and I know weather is alittle unpredictable then. Anyone have suggestions or past experiences with this time of the year?

I know it’s not original but if I wanted family matching outfits my husband would only do Incredibles shirts. The good thing is that the shopdisney.com had a 25% off sale so I got all 4 of my families shirts for the price of 3. Gotta love a good sale!

This sounds perfect! I cannot imagine dressing like them especially during Aug, & September, just way too hot. Parts of October is prone to have high heat and humidity as well.

I am really struggling about costumes since we are going in mid October. I just don't know if we should go with long sleeves or short sleeves,etc. I just don't want anyone to be too hot or cold and I know weather is alittle unpredictable then. Anyone have suggestions or past experiences with this time of the year?

Short sleeve and if you need a long sleeve you can add that under your costume but for mid October I doubt you'll need it. Might want to see this: [URL="https://www.disboards.com/threads/mnsshp-2017-strategy-in-the-making.3604086/page-101#post-58320976"]2017 - Post #2016[/URL].

We’re going with a light Pokémon theme for our group of 8. The four adults will be Ash, Serena, Jessie and James. The four kids (ages 4-9) will be Pikachu, Squirtle, Meowth and Wobbuffet (couldn’t convince our Squirtle to be a Fennekin). We’re going to the first party, so costumes are light: mostly t-shirts and accessories. I’ll post a photo after we get our outfits organized!
I like it a lot!

This sounds perfect! I cannot imagine dressing like them especially during Aug, & September, just way too hot. Parts of October is prone to have high heat and humidity as well.
Our party is 10/28 so I’m hoping for milder weather but T-shirt’s and black shorts will do us just fine either way.

What about bottoms....shorts or pants?

Both. Use the pants when flying to and from WDW and use the shorts during your trip. When you get closer to your trip, use the 10 day weather chart to decide what you should bring.

Both. Use the pants when flying to and from WDW and use the shorts during your trip. When you get closer to your trip, use the 10 day weather chart to decide what you should bring.
Oh I am not worried about clothes itself for the trip. It is just trying to plan the Halloween costume so it won't be too warm or cool.

Oh I am not worried about clothes itself for the trip. It is just trying to plan the Halloween costume so it won't be too warm or cool.

Right and the whole point is have at least two options available for the weather. I find the airplane and airport are well air conditioned so we wear pants. Our trip may or may not have warmer weather so we bring shorts. Both of which can be used for our costumes and then some.;)

After much deliberation and me just making a decision, DH and I have decided to go to the party as Donald and Daisy Duck.
DH wanted to try to make a Gizmoduck costume, but I just couldn't figure out how to do that and still stay cool since our party is 9/16 and we're planning on it being hot. Plus I couldn't think of something for me to wear that complimented it.
I already bought a lavender tshirt, and I found a tutu/tulle skirt on Amazon I'm going to purchase. I'm thinking of going on Etsy to see about getting Donald and Daisy baseball hats made for us. I saw a DIY thing about making your own hats, but I'm not very crafty, especially when it comes to bows and I want a giant fuchsia bow on top of that hat like Daisy would wear! I also have fuchsia mary jane crocs I can wear for shoes. A string of costume pearls and a clunky teal bracelet should complete the outfit!
I'll buy a Donald t-shirt for DH, and he can wear white/light khaki shorts.

Anything I'm forgetting?

We were at the party last October 8th (I think) and it was HOT. My costume involved thick flannel pants and I thought I was going to die. That being said, as others have mentioned, I think that the weather is much more variable in October than the preceding months and the advice to plan for two temperature ranges is an excellent one.

Read the Fabric labels when purchasing your outfits!

The 4 Best Fabrics for Hot Weather

1. Cotton

Cotton is one the best fabrics for hot weather. Not only is it cheap and hugely available, but it is also great for the heat. Cotton is soft, lightweight, breathable, and soaks up sweat, allowing heat to escape the body and for you to stay cool. It comes in countless styles and colors, meaning you can find a cotton garment to fit pretty much any need. There are also a variety of cotton blends that have different qualities. Cotton gets pretty wrinkled, but a cotton polyester blend will keep you from having to iron. Cotton does have some downsides however. If you are sweating a lot, cotton tends to soak up moisture so it could become heavy and wet, it may also show moisture stains by your armpits or collar if you wear it in light colors.

2. Linen

Linen is another top choice for a breathable fabric to wear in hot weather conditions. It is also very light and is loosely woven which allows heat to escape from the body. It absorbs a lot of moisture and dries quickly, keeping you cool and dry. It tends to be stiff, but that also means that it is not sticking to your body. Linen also wrinkles pretty often, but a lot of people like it, and view it as a part of the style and look of linen.

3. Denim/Chambray

Denim is made from very tightly woven cotton, so it is breathable and sweat absorbent just like cotton. But, denim tends to be a heavier fabric, which is why some people prefer chambray. Chambray is like an imitation denim, so it has all of the same benefits as denim, but is a lot lighter in weight.

4. Rayon & Silk

Rayon is a man-made fabric blended from cotton, wood pulp, and other natural or synthetic fibers. It was invented as a cheaper alternative to silk (which also makes silk a good summer fabric). Rayon has very thin fibers, which allows it to breathe more than other fabrics and gives it a lightness that prevents it from sticking to a body in hot weather. Since it is so comfortable and cooling to wear, rayon is an especially good fabric for sportswear and summer dresses. Both are best suited for dry heat and not humid.

Read the Fabric labels when purchasing your outfits!

The 4 Best Fabrics for Hot Weather

1. Cotton

Cotton is one the best fabrics for hot weather. Not only is it cheap and hugely available, but it is also great for the heat. Cotton is soft, lightweight, breathable, and soaks up sweat, allowing heat to escape the body and for you to stay cool. It comes in countless styles and colors, meaning you can find a cotton garment to fit pretty much any need. There are also a variety of cotton blends that have different qualities. Cotton gets pretty wrinkled, but a cotton polyester blend will keep you from having to iron. Cotton does have some downsides however. If you are sweating a lot, cotton tends to soak up moisture so it could become heavy and wet, it may also show moisture stains by your armpits or collar if you wear it in light colors.

2. Linen

Linen is another top choice for a breathable fabric to wear in hot weather conditions. It is also very light and is loosely woven which allows heat to escape from the body. It absorbs a lot of moisture and dries quickly, keeping you cool and dry. It tends to be stiff, but that also means that it is not sticking to your body. Linen also wrinkles pretty often, but a lot of people like it, and view it as a part of the style and look of linen.

3. Denim/Chambray

Denim is made from very tightly woven cotton, so it is breathable and sweat absorbent just like cotton. But, denim tends to be a heavier fabric, which is why some people prefer chambray. Chambray is like an imitation denim, so it has all of the same benefits as denim, but is a lot lighter in weight.

4. Rayon & Silk

Rayon is a man-made fabric blended from cotton, wood pulp, and other natural or synthetic fibers. It was invented as a cheaper alternative to silk (which also makes silk a good summer fabric). Rayon has very thin fibers, which allows it to breathe more than other fabrics and gives it a lightness that prevents it from sticking to a body in hot weather. Since it is so comfortable and cooling to wear, rayon is an especially good fabric for sportswear and summer dresses. Both are best suited for dry heat and not humid.

"Hot" weather and Florida's Humid weather can be very different things though, so some of these fabrics would probably actually not be ideal for Florida heat. For example while it is true that cotton absorbs sweat, it is also not quick to dry. So if you sweat a substantial amount and there is a lot of moisture in the air after a while cotton will no longer absorb because it won't be able to because it will be saturated and then you will be left with "wet" clothing. Many synthetic material clothing, especially in the athletic/performance sector, are treated with finishes to allow them to wick moisture which would be much better than absorbing the moisture in a humid environment. The wicking of treated polyester and nylon will allow for the moisture to be pulled away from your skin AND dry quickly. So I would actually suggest people look more for these items with claims of 'moisture management' or 'moisture wicking' along with looking at the fiber contents on the label.

"Hot" weather and Florida's Humid weather can be very different things though, so some of these fabrics would probably actually not be ideal for Florida heat. For example while it is true that cotton absorbs sweat, it is also not quick to dry. So if you sweat a substantial amount and there is a lot of moisture in the air after a while cotton will no longer absorb because it won't be able to because it will be saturated and then you will be left with "wet" clothing. Many synthetic material clothing, especially in the athletic/performance sector, are treated with finishes to allow them to wick moisture which would be much better than absorbing the moisture in a humid environment. The wicking of treated polyester and nylon will allow for the moisture to be pulled away from your skin AND dry quickly. So I would actually suggest people look more for these items with claims of 'moisture management' or 'moisture wicking' along with looking at the fiber contents on the label.

Granted but trying to find costumes with wicking moisture technology is very hard to come by not to mention cost prohibitive. So in thinking of costumes these are the fabrics I recommend.

Last edited:
We are attending 10/25 party and I was planning to wear matching pirate outfits but my kids (6 and 12) prefer going as mr incredible and dash. We already have the costumes. I told them about the heat and humidity but cannot made them change their minds so I'm planning to wear an incredibles t shirt, a black short skirt and black leggins in case the weather is colder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter